Childhood asthma is more common when one of the parents is asthmatic, but it can also develop when parents do not suffer with the disease. The symptoms of asthma can manifest itself can arise in childhood or adolescence.
Asthma symptoms in the baby may include:
- Sensation of shortness of breath or wheezing more than 1 time per month;
- Cough caused by laughter, crying, intense, or physical exercise;
- Cough even when the baby is not sick with the flu, or a cold.
There is a greater risk of the baby having asthma when one of the parents is asthmatic, and if there are smokers in the house. The fur of the animals only cause asthma if there is a genetic predisposition/allergies to the hair, by itself, the animals do not cause asthma.
The diagnosis of asthma in the baby can be done by the physician, pulmonologist/allergologyst in children, but the pediatrician may suspect the disease when the child shows the signs and symptoms of asthma.
Treatment of asthma in the baby
The treatment of asthma in the baby is similar to that of the adult, and should be done with the use of medicines and avoiding exposure to the substances that can trigger asthma attacks. In babies and children under 3 years of age, the pediatrician or pulmonologist pediatric orient a nebulizer with the medicine of asthma, diluted in saline, and only usually from the age of 5, is that it can start to use the breast pump of asthma”.
The pediatrician may also recommend do nebulizações with remedies corticoids, such as Prelone or Pediapred, 1 time per day, to avoid the emergence of crises of asthma, and making the flu vaccine every year, before the onset of winter.
If you are in a crisis of asthma the remedy does not seem to have any effect you should call an ambulance or take the baby as soon as possible to the hospital. S
In addition to the use of the remedy the pediatrician should guide the parents to take care of at home, especially in the baby room as to avoid the accumulation of dust. Some useful measures are to remove carpets, curtains and carpets of the house and always clean the house with a damp cloth to remove always all the dust.
As must be the room of the baby with asthma
Parents should pay special attention to preparing the baby’s room, since it is at this place that the baby spends more time during the day. Thus, the primary care in the room include:
- Use covers anti-allergic mattress and pillows of the bed;
- Change the blanketsfor duvets or avoid using blankets with fur;
- Change bed linen every weekand wash it in water at 130 ºC;
- Put the ground rubberized washable, as shown in the image 2, in the places where the child plays;
- Clean the room with vacuum cleanerdust and a damp cloth, at least 2 to 3 times per week;
- Clean the blades of the fan1 time per week, avoiding the accumulation of dust on the apparatus;
- Remove carpets, curtains and carpetsof the room of the child;
- Prevent the entry of animals, such as cat or dog, into the room of the baby.
Already in the case of the baby who has symptoms of asthma due to changes in temperature, it is also important to use appropriate clothing to the season of the year to avoid sudden changes of temperature.
In addition, the stuffed dummies should be avoided, as they accumulate a lot of poeria. However, if there are any toys with hair it is advised to keep them closed in a closet and wash them, at least, 1 time per month.
These precautions should be maintained throughout the house to ensure that the substances allergic, as poeria or fur, are not transported to the location where the baby is.
What to do when the baby has an asthma attack
What you should do in a crisis asthma baby is to make the nebulizações with medicines bronchodilators, such as Salbutamol or Albuterol, prescribed by the pediatrician. To do this:
- Put the number of drops of the remedy indicated by the pediatrician in the cup of the nebulizer;
- Add in the cup of the nebulizer, 5 to 10 ml of saline solution;
- Position the mask correctly on the face of the baby, or put together in the nose and the mouth;
- Connect the nebulizer for 10 minutes, or until the medicine disappears from the cup.
The nebulizações can be made several times during the day, in accordance with the indication of the doctor, until the symptoms of the baby decrease.
When you go to the doctor
Parents should take the baby to the er when:
- Asthma symptoms do not subside after a nebulizer;
- More are needed nebulizações to control symptoms, as indicated by the physician;
- The baby has fingers or lips purplish;
- The baby is having trouble breathing, getting very angry.
In addition to these situations, parents should take the baby with asthma all routine queries as scheduled by the pediatrician to evaluate your development.