The muscle spasms usually occur to signal that something located is not as well, as well as cause muscle stiffness temporary.
The muscle spasms are not more than a simple involuntary contractions of a muscle or group of muscles in any area of the human body.
Usually the muscle spasms appear as a form of protection mechanism, that is, the way that our body has to be able to defend against certain injuries, traumas that can cause the stretch muscle, ligament or even bone, however, may arise due to the presence of local inflammation.
It is important that you have the notion that there are different types of muscle spasms, being the most known, famous and common, cramp. It is usually caused by imbalance of ions or overload the muscle.
In opposition to cramps, may arise another form of muscle spasm painless, are the mioquimias the eyelid or the contractions of eyelids, which are usually benign, and occur of exposure to stress.
MUSCLE SPASMS: MOST COMMON CAUSES
This situation can be caused by a different set of causes, such as:
- Stress muscle;
- Intense physical activity;
- Trauma sudden;
- Stretch the muscle or ligament;
- Poor quality of sleep;
- Dehydration (due to disturbances hidroeletroliticos);
- Pregnancy (due to decreased levels of calcium);
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages;
- Hypoglycemia (low sugar level in the blood);
- Consumption of certain drugs, such as diuretics, corticosteroids or antagonists of calcium channels;
- Excessive consumption of caffeine;
- Nutritional deficiencies;
- Loss of muscle mass;
- Sedentary lifestyle;
- Certain diseases, such as:
- Venous insufficiency and varicose veins;
- Renal failure;
- Problems in the thyroid;
- Muscle diseases (for example, muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, Lou Gehrig’s disease, etc.).
MUSCLE SPASMS: COMMON SYMPTOMS
This type of contraction is usually accompanied by complaints álgicas (pain) sudden and stiffness prolonged and localized muscle, often during a short period of time, which reduces spontaneously.
MUSCLE SPASMS: TREATMENT
Should bet on the following attitudes to prevent the onset of muscle spasms, as well as a form of treatment:
- Always do a good warm up and stretching before starting any type of exercise;
- Perform a regular physical activity appropriate to their physical needs;
- Invest in a good hydration of the oral, mainly through the ingestion of liquids such as water or teas without caffeine, or fruit juices;
- Application alternating a heating pad or hot and cold packs, since the heat will relax the muscle when it begins the spasm and allows you to keep the movement, but an ice pack and rest is useful for regenerating muscle;
- Massage on the location of the contracture, thus, the muscle relaxes and blood flow increases;
- Invest in measures that help to improve the quality of your sleep, such as, for example, decrease stimuli before you go to fall asleep, promotes an environment with low light, nice temperature and little bit noisy;
- Choose a diet that is diverse and balanced (do not forget to include fruits, vegetables and beans, since they are good sources of potassium, magnesium and calcium);
- Decrease the consumption of caffeine;
- Reduce the smoking habits and alcohol;
- Use relaxation techniques;
Rarely the presence of muscle spasms indicate a serious situation and urgent, however, if the spasms become in a situation of chronic or persistent, and that affects always the same locations, select a medical consultation from your doctor for general and family medicine, neurologist, orthopedist, physiatrist or a physical therapist, because it can indicate some health problem that needs to be detected.
In cases more difficult to control, your doctor may suggest the intake of some drugs (anti-spasmodic) that reduce the muscle spasms, however, must comply with the medical indications and never self-medicate.
It may also be recommended to take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (eg, ibuprofen), since it reduces the pain, inflammation and increases vascularity.